SALMON GLAZE WITH BLACK GARLIC
This simple black garlic glaze goes great with salmon, but it could also be used to marinade prawns or calamari.
How to make crispy salmon skin
Crispy salmon skin required the skin to be dry (similar to preparing pork crackling).
Step 1 Ideally marinade the salmon skin down for the first hour – then turn the fillet over, wipe clean, pat dry and leave in the fridge uncovered. The air in the fridge is very dry, which will help remove all moisture from the skin.
Note:- If the fish was packaged in a vacuum seal bag the skin will become very moist, it maybe necessary to leave the salmon in the fridge for longer.
Step 2 Add a drop (or 2) of oil, a twist of pepper, a pinch of salt – use your finger to massage this into the salmon skin.
Note:- Do this just before cooking, or else the skin may become moist again & not crisp up.
Step 3 Add the salmon skin side down to a medium to hot, well-oiled fry pan.
Note:- Press down on the salmon for about 10 seconds and reduce the heat to medium. Unlike other fish salmon fillets tend to hold their shape, meaning the don’t fold up at the ends or edges – giving you an even crispy skin.
Step 4 Cook the salmon 3/4 of the way (roughly 7 minutes) turn, then cook the other side for 1 – 2 minutes.
Note:- Its easy to see how the salmon is cooking by look at the side of the fillet. As the fish cooks it will change colour from translucent to opaque, when that colour change moves ¾ up the fillet its ¾ cook. Its that easy…
Step 5 Flip & Fire.. Pan fried fish skin loses its crispness when it cools, so cooking the fillet skin down on high for 1 minute makes sure its nice and crispy when it hits the plate.
Step 6 This might sound obvious, but make sure you serve the salmon fillet skin side up…
Note:- If you are using this crispy salmon skin technique for another recipe, and if you’re adding a sauce don’t cover the crispy salmon skin. Serve it to the side or in a ramekin.
Salmon glaze with black garlic.
- 2 salmon fillets
- 4 tblspns light soy sauce
- 2 tblespns olive oil
- 1 tblespns black garlic puree
- 2 tblespns lemon or lime zest
- 1 teaspn lemon or lime juice
- 1 teaspns Red ginger powder
- 3 tblspns brown sugar
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Place salmon fillets in oven proof dish and rub with marinade.
- Bake in oven 150C for 12 mins or clean until cooked to your liking.
- Alternatively…… Wipe the marinade from the salmon skin, pad dry then cook initially skin down on a well oiled pan. This should give you a lovely tasty and crispy salmon skin to makes your taste buds tingle.