We hear people say ‘detox’ a lot. You probably have a range of ideas about ‘Detoxing’. But do you know when your body is screaming for a detox? And what is the right food to eat to detox your body?
Living in the modern-day world, we are soaking up various types of toxins unconsciously day by day. Our body is working hard to dispel toxins constantly. Over time, our bodies may get run down from unhealthy food choices, like caffeine, alcohol, drugs, stress and environmental toxins.
A buildup of toxins in our body may cause mental and physical health problems. Therefore, it is important that we notice the signs when our body needs a cleanse from toxins that impact our health and vitality.
So, when does our body require a detox?
Here are 7 signs of an imbalanced gut that may need a cleanse:
- Skin problems (like eczema)
- Digestion issues
- Get colds, flu and viruses easily
- Unstable emotions (feeling depressed and anxious)
- Food allergies or sensitivities
Most people having some of the above problems may not take it seriously. Understand that an imbalanced gut may cause bigger problems like obesity, diabetes and heart disease. A balanced gut is the key toward a healthy lifestyle.
Detoxing is an opportunity to allow our body to take a break for processes of self-healing. The best way to detox is having a healthy eating plan by choosing the right real food.
What should we eat to detox?
Here are some foods that will help your body detox:
- Water – Yes! This is the most essential thing for our body. Aim 1-3L a day.
- Fresh seasonal fruit, sprouts and vegetables (especially brassica vegetables, like broccoli)
- Ginger powder, assists digestion and nausea.
- Turmeric powder, contains amazing anti-inflammatory properties.
- Fermented foods, like black garlic, kefir, yogurt and kimchi
- Gluten-free grains, like rice, buckwheat, millet, quinoa
- Avocado, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, raw nuts and seeds
- Herbal tea, especially ginger tea
What should we avoid when we are detoxing?
- Sugar, sweets and jams
- Deli meats, bacon, sausages and red meat
- Processed/ refined foods, like canned foods, biscuits and pastries…
- Chips, burgers and fried foods
- Alcohol, coffee and soft drinks
- Artificial colours, favours and additives
Cleansing toxins from our body once in a while is the best way to reset and restart a healthier, happier, more energetic you! Do remember our body is brilliant, but everything we do impacts our body and, ultimately our future. So it’s important to excite simple changes that are good for our whole body.