Top 7 health benefits of a good sleep
Have you ever wondered why we need sleep? What’s the purpose of sleep?
Sleep is an essential activity as much as food and water to our body. We need sleep to survive. To date, more people are sleeping less than in the past; Not to mention the decrease in sleep quality.
Why is good sleep important to us?
Many critical biological processes happen during sleep. From the brain storing memories, to the body repairing cells, to restoring energy; Just to name a few. These are important processes for our overall health. Thanks to sleep, our bodies can function properly.
What are the health benefits of sleep?
To date, there is still a lot unknown about why we sleep. However, we spend almost one-third of our lives sleeping and we know that is very good for our health.
Here are the top 7 health benefits of good sleep:
- Help you maintain your weight
- Improve concentration and productivity
- Enhance athletic performance
- Increase your memory
- Put you in a better mood
- Strengthen your immune system
- Reduce stress and anxiety
How much sleep do we need?
Normally, 7 to 9 hours would be a good amount of sleep for an adult. But sleep needs also vary from person to person based on age and activity.
These tips may help you sleep better:
- Follow a regular sleep schedule
- Minimize alcohol and caffeine
- Stay away from the phone and electronic screens an hour before bed
- Create a calm and comfortable environment
- Do exercise and be more active (Want to know more about how to keep exercise schedule click here)
Along with exercise and nutrition, a good sleep is one of the pillars for our health. If you didn’t think sleep matters, think again! Aim to have 7 to 9 hours sleep tonight.
Remember, be mindful of how your body’s feeling during the day to regulate the right amount of sleep for you.
If you have more tips to help sleep, comment below. Share with us!