Vegan cheese recipes come in all shape and sizes… they are highly customisable, depending on the flavour and texture you desire.
In this dairy-free cheese recipe, I have used cashew nuts (soaked in water and then blended) to create a paste, which can be used as a dip, spread or sauce.
I mainly used this vegan cheese spread on toast as a way to experiment eliminating butter from my diet.
What does vegan cheese sauce taste like?
If you use cashews (like I have) then it has a nutty, mildly sweet & citrus taste – resulting from using black garlic & lemon juice. A teaspoon of nutritional yeast gives it a subtle cheesy flavour
What is vegan cheese sauce made from?
In this dairy-free cheese, I have used unsalted cashew nuts (soaked in water), lemon juice, black garlic puree, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper & water. If you want to change the texture, adding more elasticity to your vegan cheese you can add some tapioca flour (mixed into the water).
* Alternately you could choose to use oat or soy milk in place of water for a creamier flavour & texture.
Eating less meat & animal products.
Since becoming a flexivore (a conscious carnivore), I’ve started looking into ways to reduce my consumption of animal products. This dairy-free cheese recipe has proved a reliable & flexible option because
- It will last for 2 – 3 weeks in the fridge & can also be frozen!
- It’s a simple spread for sandwiches or biscuits.
- Mixed with vegetables and mushrooms, it makes a great pasta sauce.
- Presented as a dip with carrots it makes a healthy after-school or work snack..
This vegan cheese / cashew cheese recipe is great for the lactose intolerant & people looking for healthier alternatives.
This dairy free cheese is extremely quick, easy & cheap to make + it’s gluten-free as well!
How does black garlic improve the taste?
Adding Black Garlic puree refines the bland colour (caused by the cashew nuts being the base ingredient), in addition to adding a subtle sweetness & garlic essence.
Cashew Cheese Recipe
- 1 Blender
- 1 cup Cashews Soak in boiled water for at least 20 minutes
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 3 – 4 cloves Black Garlic peeled cloves
- 1 cup Water
- A pinch of Salt & Pepper
- 1 tsp Paprika Powder
- Soak the cashew in boiled water for at least 20 minutes. (Best over night to create a smoother texture)
- Add all ingredient in the blender and blender for 5 minutes. Enjoy.
Cashew Cheese Recipe
with black garlic peeled cloves
While the quality of my video might not be high class… the taste, health benefits & versatility of this vegan cheese | cashew cheese recipe defiantly is!
TOP TIP: If you want a really smooth texture then it’s better to use a more powerful blender than what I used in the video.
Video 1.5 / 10
Recipes 7.3 / 10
→ Want to Learn More? 10 Surprising Health Benefits of Black Garlic!