Meditation is a practice of training your attention from a place of non-judgement. Recognize your feelings and observe in the present moment. There are numerous studies that have proven the benefits of regular meditation.
Here are top 7 benefits of regular meditation:
- Controls anxiety and reduces stress
- Increases focus and concentration
- Improves self-awareness and self-esteem
- Promotes emotional health and well-being
- Enhances empathy and compassion
- Assists sleep
- Helps preserve the aging brain
Meditation can have extensive benefits, from physical to mental. You only need up to 10 minutes per day. However, many people find meditation difficult to get started and keep up a routine. Following meditation courses and beginner guides can be a good start to help you stick with it.
How to start meditation
While meditation is becoming popular around the world, there are many different types of meditation. Choose one that you feel more comfortable with and is easier to keep up the routine.
Today, I will show a few steps to help you start mindfulness meditation, the most common type.
- Find a quiet space – make sure there is nothing to disturb you during the meditation.
- Get comfortable – get a comfortable and relaxing position, whether you are sitting on the floor, in a chair, or even lying down.
- Set a timer – Set 2-5 minutes for the first few times. Consider using a relaxing sound so the alarm doesn’t wake you from a peaceful state.
- Use guidance – guidance is recommended for a beginner to meditate effectively. An audio guide can help you focus.
- Start with a few deep breaths – deep breaths help you to calm your mind and pay attention to the moment.
- Redirect wandering thoughts gently – while meditating, your mind may begin to wander. Be aware a thought has distracted you, and gently bring your attention back to breathing.
Getting distracted by thought may be the biggest worry for beginners, but it’s inevitable. Learning how to manage distractions is an important part of the process.
Meditation establishes a secure connection between your internal and external world. Meditation can have many health benefits, from mental to emotional to physical. Start today to improve your overall health!
TIP: Scheduling the same time every day for meditation can help you keep up the routine.
Meditation is like a gym in which you develop the powerful mental muscles of calm and insight.— Ajahn Brahm