What is Jamu?
Jamu is an ancient Indonesian traditional herbal medicine that is made from natural materials, such as roots, leaves, flowers, bark, seeds and fruits. According to Wikipedia, it’s been used for over 1300 years since the Mataram Kingdom in Java! Normally, females in a family would mix the tonics and hand down the recipes for the next generation. Recently, many health drinks have used Jamu in their recipe to help improve immune system and overall health.
Jamu’s Health Benefits
Jamu tonic is mostly made from these main ingredients: turmeric, ginger, galangal and tamarind. Each herb has been renowned for its myriad health benefits. So imagine how powerful and potent this drink would be when you combine those herbs!
Here are the top 5 health benefits of Jamu:
1. High anti-inflammatory properties
Most Jamu ingredients have abundant anti-inflammatory properties. The anti-inflammatory properties can help reduce pain, swelling, and inflammation, which in turn helps improve your overall health.
2. Improve digestion and gut health
Your gut can be considered the second brain and it can control your mood and emotion. Ginger and turmeric are popular due to their benefits in improving digestion system health. They are also great to help maintain a healthy weight.
3. Natural detox for kidneys and liver
Your kidneys and liver are working all the time to process various types of toxins you’ve unconsciously absorbed every day. A buildup of toxins can cause many mental and physical health conditions. Turmeric and ginger are excellent herbs to help detoxify your body and support kidney and liver health.
4. Rich in Antioxidants
Various Jamu ingredients contain many powerful minerals and vitamins that can help optimize energy levels and vitality. Their rich antioxidant compounds are the best source to support immune system and fight against aging.
5. Maintain heart health
Almost half of Australians are at risk of heart disease. Therefore, maintaining heart health is the most important thing to prevent many diseases at any age. Most ingredients in Jamu are great to control blood pressure and blood circulation, which can help you keep your heart in a good health.
The Easiest recipe to make your homemade Jamu
The powder blend – Curcumin Forte is a traditional Jamu formula for you to make your own homemade Jamu!
Jamu Tonic – Curcumin Forte
- 20 g Curcumin Forte Powder
- 2 tbsp Lemon or Lime juice
- 3 to 4 tbsp Honey or other sweetness
- 1 litre Water or coconut water
- Add curcumin forte powder and 1 liter of water to a saucepan and bring it to boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add Lemon juice and honey and stir.
- Pour into a glass bottle or jar and refrigerate. Enjoy chilled or warm.
- Jamu drink can keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Consume 1-2 glasses of Jamu juice daily (best in the morning) to help you achieve your health goals.
How often should you drink Jamu?
Consume 1-2 glasses of Jamu juice daily (best in the morning) to help you achieve your health goals.