Digestive Health – 6 Herbs & Spices to Help Improve Digestion!
Digestive system health is more important than you imagine.
Did you know that 90% of serotonin is made in our digestive system? Serotonin can help us regulate mood, anxiety, and happiness. By eating well and feeding healthy bacteria, our body generates serotonin to help us feel happy and relaxed naturally.
The digestive system naturally produces acid, enzymes, and bile to break down food and absorb nutrients. Digestion has a huge impact on our immune systems, both nervous and hormonal. It can be seen as a foundation to our overall health.
The foods we eat and our lifestyle have a direct impact on digestive health. So, the best way to improve it is by eating healthy food. We can start by adding some herbs and spices that can help support the digestion!
6 herbs for digestive health:
- Ginger: Ginger has a warming stimulant for saliva and bile production. It has anti-nausea, anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties to calm and soothe the stomach. Red ginger powder is easy to store, and it can be used in a wide range of dishes or simply in ginger tea! (Cook with red ginger)
- Turmeric / White Turmeric: Turmeric can aid basic digestion functions, including absorption and metabolism. It can relieve bloating and support the liver. Its richness in anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and antioxidant properties make turmeric a powerful healing herb!
- Chamomile: Chamomile can calm the nerves and help us relax. That’s the reason its great for soothing stress-related digestive issues!
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon with its warm and spicy sweetness can stimulate appetite and circulation. It can help guard against inflammatory bowel disease.
- Peppermint: It’s refreshing taste and cooling and soothing properties can help relieve digestive troubles!
- Fennel: Fennel can enhance appetite, digestion and absorption. It can help relieve heartburn, indigestion, nausea, upset stomach and diarrhea!
By adding or increasing your daily intake of these herbs and spices, you can help improve your digestive health.
Here are some additional strategies that can help to keep our digestive health:
- Drink water: Getting enough water is the most important thing to our health!
- Stay active: Regular exercise helps the digestive system process food and reduces constipation. Exercising regularly can also improve our overall health!
- Eat slowly and on schedule: Chewing the food thoroughly and eating slowly can help the absorption of nutrients and reduce digestive discomfort. Also, aim to sit down for meals around the same time each day to keep your digestion happy.
- Manage stress: High levels of stress or anxiety are hard on our body. Here are some ways to calm anxiety.
- Get enough sleep: Not enough or poor quality sleep can cause digestive issues, which can in turn contribute to more sleep problems. Aim for at least 7 – 8 hours of sleep per night. Here are tips that may help you sleep better.
- Have a healthy diet: Avoid processed, high-fat, and high- sugar food. Also consuming a high-fiber diet can remarkably improve digestive health!
Eat well, sleep well, be healthy!
Our digestive system is extremely complex and has a huge impact on our whole-body health. A healthy digestive system contributes to heart and immune system health. It enhances mood and better sleep. Remember, it is important to take steps to support the digestive system to function well, so that we can improve our overall health and well-being.